Who we are: We are a group of animal loving dog walkers & pet sitters committed to providing the best care possible for your pet. We carefully screen all dog walker & cat sitter candidates, including a background check. Although all of our dog walkers and pet sitters have come with some experience, they must go through a training period with our veteran dog walkers & trainers before they are approved to meet you and your pet. We look to enlist dog walkers & pet sitters who are environmentalists as well as human, animal rights & creative arts advocates - and who have been or currently are involved in some sort of activism.This is a ‘dog eat dog’ free zone.
References available upon request.
Pet Services Offered:
Dog Walking (1-4 dogs at a time)
Pet Sitting (most of us can do overnights in your home)
Cat Sitting (cat visits or overnights)
Boarding (a few of us can board in our homes)
Pet Nurse & Administering of Medications
Our Walkers & Sitters will work with our trainer or yours to implement any behavior modifications you would like.
Exclusive Care Services, which is really anything such as bringing your pet to a vet, a groomer, the prom, escorting him or her on a plane when you are moving, etc.
Certified Dog Trainer & Pet Owner Counselor
Behavior Modification Training for the Pet
Counseling for the Pet Owner
Pet Family Therapy between Owner, Pet & Family, Roommates, Friends
Housebreaking, Feeding, Socializing, Walking with other dogs, Exercising, Growling, Shyness, Barking, Destruction, Possessiveness, Introducing your dog or cat to a newborn, Bathroom Etiquette, Separation Anxiety, Crate training, Pet adoption Coach, Green petcare counselor.
Building a relationship with you and your pet is important to us. You will be assigned one walker and that person's substitute or part-timer. Our walkers commit to at least one year with our dog walking service, ensuring you will not get a new walker every month or week or day. We believe this commitment promotes a special bond between our walkers/sitters and the animals they take care of. They are consistent, reliable, patient and fun.
For anyone considering adopting a pet from a shelter or pet rescue group we offer a free walk. Please contact us for an interview with you, your pet and prices - we offer discounts.
Where We Service: Currently the walkers service all of Manhattan and most of Brooklyn. In addition, our petsitters and trainer accept sits and training sessions in all of the New York City area and upon occassion everywhere else in the stratosphere.
You & your pet can protect rainforests:
One of the first issues DFR was concerned about is New York City Government's Destruction of Rainforests for park benches, Brooklyn Bridge, Coney Island Boardwalk, MTA subway ties, Staten Island ferry terminals, Hudson River Park, and The High Line Park. Check out two ads Dogwalking for Rainforests co-produced. The ads appeared on NY1. Jane Goodall was kind enough to appear in one of them. Just click Funky NYC Rainforests Ad or Jane Goodall NYC Rainforests Ad to view.
Most New Yorkers have little idea that as they debate about global warming policies their children are running on beach & bridge boardwalks made and continually updated with tropical hardwoods. Take Action: rainforestsofnewyork.org
How else can your doggie or kitty help? 1. Avoid human foods, petfoods & all treats that are made with beef or beef-by-products! Cattle-ranching is one of the significant reasons endangered forests are disappearing.2. Use recycled bags or this morning's paper to pick up your dog waste. 3. Use Puriana's Yesterday's News catlitter or its equivalent. Its made of recycled newspapers, it is not dusty, and it doesn't smell bad. 4. Turn off most lights and TVs when you leave your house. Unlike you your pet can acclimate to the dark much easier.5. Be creative. Use salvaged items for pet toys or purchase pet toys made of recycled materials.
How else can you, the human help? 6. Avoid the purchase of any new gold as gold-mining also destroys rainforests. 7. Make sure your soybeans or soybean products are not from Brasil as large corporation soybean farming is destroying rainforests. 8. Buy 'shade-grown' (not simply organic) coffee or chocolate. 9. resist using aluminum products & when you do recycle that aluminum foil as aluminum mining relies on large (& destructive) dams often built in a rainforest.
You and your pet have the power to make or create change. Share our info with your friends and aquaintances.
To learn more about alternatives to rainforest consumption go to
in City Tails Magazine
and in Liz Is Magazine
and in green blog www.trypeas.com
Our collective was also featured in The New York Times
Kudos from past & present clients:
"Dogwalking for Rainforests is an amazing service. What they do for the environment and my dog is brilliant. I am really happy with your service and so is Riise (Bull Dog puppy). Thanks for everything."
"It's cool knowing Chaser (Boston Terrier) is doing her part for a good cause. Every walk not only keeps her trim and happy, but donates to a good cause."
John Barrett Salon
"Just want to say thanks for taking such good care of Stella (Rottwieller/Shepard mix) for the past year...I don't know much about a dog's memory, but I am certain that Stella considers you an important part of her pack and will recognize you lovingly as long as she lives."
Carrie & Huntley
"I appreciate the great job your cat sitter always does taking care of my three babies (two Bengal cats & one domestic shorthaired)...she's terrific."
"We think the dogwalking and housesitting services provided by Dogwalking for Rainforests are first class (and we've used several supposedly top-notch services in the past). Our dogs, Mia (Husky) and Annabel (Dachsund), adore their walker. Perhaps more important still, we trust her with both our dogs and our home. Lastly, the philanthropic approach taken by Dogwalking for Rainforests is both unique and rewarding in so many ways."
A Training Kudo
"I have two dogs, both Pit Bull rescues. One of them, Red, at around two years old became very vicious towards other dogs. Over the past year and a half the aggression had gotten worse. I couldn't let him off the leash for fear of a fight happening. Walking him on a leash even became difficult if he saw another dog even a block away. I started working with your trainer and after the first training I saw a huge difference in him. After four trainings Red was able to finally touch noses with another dog, wag his tail and kiss them. He wagged his tail so much. I am amazed by the difference in my dog's behavior. But I think Red is the most amazed & the happiest. He can now have a social life once again."
"Above is a picture of my dog Chopper. Recently chopper passed away. In her last years chops developed serious arthritis and although was fully alert and playful she had a hard time walking. I started to use this service and had a wonderful dogwalker named Brian who came to my house everyday and took chops to the park in her little red wagon. She loved to swim in the park and looked forward to her time with him everyday. This made a HUGE difference in her quality of life and for that I am so grateful.
This is an impeccable service that really takes the time to get to know the owners and the pets and make a difference in their lives. Brian still walks
my other pooch, Thangka, and we love the service.
Jody B. (Brooklyn)
Dogwalking for Rainforests has donated or is currently donating to:
- ABC NoRio Multi-Use Community Arts Center (Lower East Side, NYC) we have and continue to send our support to their Building Renovation Fund www.abcnorio.org
- Animal Aware (Guatemala) operates an animal sanctuary, organizes traveling spay/neuter clinics as well as community veterinary and education services all in Guatemala. We have donated over $1700. In addition we have sent volunteers to work for a month at the animal sanctuary. www.animalaware.org
- Beehive Collective (Maine) a grassroots, design collective that inspires & promotes action by making collaborative, noncopyrighted, intricate & beautiful images. www.beehivecollective.org
- Breakfree Project (Brooklyn, NY) The Break Free Project founded by one of our walkers, Mavi Graves, is a musical tour hit the road across the US in a vehicle fueled by waste vegetable oil summer 2007.
- Bread & Puppet Theater
(Glover, Vermont) is one of the oldest, nonprofit, self-supporting theatre companies in the U.S. Touring the U.S., Europe, Latin America, Asia, they address social, political & environmental issues inviting the communities to participate as actors in their pageants. www.theaterofmemory.com/art/bread/bread.html
- Callen Lorde Community Health Center DFR funded a one month supply of medications for the treatment of HIV for one NYC patient www.callen-lorde.org/services
- Cispes has been dedicated to supporting the Salvadoran people's struggle for justice since 1980 when the US government became involved in a 12-year civil war where hundreds of thousands of people became displaced & 80,000 people were mysteriously executed. www.cispes.org
- Fierce (NYC) is a community organization for Transgender, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Two Spirit, Queer, and Questioning (TLGBTSQQ) youth of color.www.fiercenyc.org
- Hancock Permaculture DFR funded a student in 2011 to study the application of permaculture principles to food production, home design, earth works and water, energy conservation www.hancockpermaculture.org
- Makarik Nihua’s Legal Defense Fund (Amazon Rainforests, Ecuador) – Via Judith Kimerling, esq., author of Amazon Crude, our collective has donated over $3000 to assist 30 indigeonous communities from Ecuador’s Amazon in a lawsuit to force Chevron Texaco to finally clean up ChevronTexaco’s oil spill in the rainforest and its rivers (FYI- the spill was one and half times that of the Exxon Valdez oil spill off the coast of Alaska).
- Mexicanos Unidos is a non-profit serving the Mexican/Latin immigrant community of New York City. The group uses art and cultural education to inform on HIV/AIDS, Cancer, immigrant rights, Homophobia. www.mexicanosunidos.org
- More Gardens! (Bronx, NY) is a group of community people (adults & children), gardeners, and environmental and social justice activists committed to revitalizing and enhancing NYC’s existing community gardens and making more gardens! www.moregardens.org
- NYC Chapter of the National Lawyer’s Guild Through its members of lawyers & law students the Guild works locally, nationally and internationally as an effective political and social force in the service of people who couldn't otherwise afford it. nlgnyc.org
- New York Climate Action Group (NYC) is alliances of NY environmentalists working to hold the city and state accountable for their contribution to tropical deforestation and climate change
- New York Environmental Law Project (NYC) is a public interest organization which counsels & represents groups and individual concerns with the preservation & improvement of community environmental conditions.www.nyenvirolaw.org
- NY S.A.V.E, Inc., is a non-profit organization dedicated to the aid and assistance of low-income pet owners residing in one of the five boroughs of New York City, whose pet is in need of emergency veterinary care.
- Le Petit Versailles, (Alphabet City, NYC) created in 1996 asa GreenThumb garden, is a project of Allied Productions, a non profit artist-run org. established in 1981. As well as providing a green oasis LPV is dedicated to fostering community in the arts, through performances, screenings, workshops. www.alliedproductions.org
- Picture the Homeless - is a NYC grass roots ngo led by the homeless to ensure the participation of homeless people in the public policy decision making processes affecting their lives. www.picturethehomeless.org
- Provincia da Bahia (Bahia, Brasil)- DFR gave seed money for a Newspaper produced by Journalism Students at theUniversity of Salvador www.provinciadabahia.com.br
- Rainforest Relief – In Fall 2005 Dogwalking for Rainforests Collective/Petsitters for Nonprofits co-produced two public service announcements that appeared on NY1. In one of the ads Jane Goodall, friend of the Chimpanzee & the U.N.'s Messanger of Peace, speaks directly to NYers. RR's mission is to halt U.S. consumption of resources that come from Temperate and Tropical Rainforests areas such as aluminum, gold, oil, wood and beef. www.rainforestrelief.org
a campaign of New York Climate Action Group, Rainforest Relief and other New York City rainforest advocates looking to end New York City's use of products from Old Growth & Tropical Rainforests. DFR Collective helped fund part (alongside a DFR client) of the new website design & implementation. www.rainforestsofnewyork.org
- Reverand Billy & the Church of Life After Shopping uses theater, humor, and grassroots organizing to advance individuals and communities towards a more equitable future. http://www.revbilly.com
- Sea Shepherd protects marine wildlife worldwide through direct action on the high seas. One of their big campaigns is to shut down the annual killing of baby harp seals known as whitecoats. www.seashepherd.org
- Seeds of Peace provides for a safe meeting space between Israeli and Palestinian children and teenagers on a cultural exchange visit across borders. www.seedsofpeace.org
- Social Tees Animal Rescue (NYC) is a small T-shirt company that rescues, rehabs & places animals. We've donated money for the rescue and placement of a paralyzed iguana, several kittens, a chameleon, and dogs. www.socialtees.com
- Students For A Free Tibet
works in solidarity with the Tibetan people in their struggle for freedom and independence from China.
- Tenants & Neighbors works for tenants rights and affordable housing in New York.
- Time’s Up (NYC) is an entirely volunteer non-profit that promotes non-polluting transportation & sustainable energy sources. Cyclists & skaters will especially enjoy participating in their festive auto-free events such as the Central Park Moon-light ride. www.times-up.org
- Tropical Forest Group catalyzes policy, science and advocacy to conserve and restore the planet’s remaining tropical forests.
- Victory Gardens Project (Athens, Maine) is a farm bridging the gaps between urban and rural communities. During the summers inner city youth are invited to learn about organic farming & the produce is distributed in Urban areas.
Write: VGP, RFD 1, Box 6025, Athens, ME 04912.
- Viralatas Feliz In spring/summer 2003 DFR spayed, neutered and medically treated several street dogs in Rio de Janiero. Viralatas means to turn over the cans and thus has come to mean stray dog in Brazilian Portuguese.
- Wildlife Protection Society of India (WPSI) combats poaching & the escalating wildlife trade particularly in wild tigers of which there are only 1500 left in India. www.wpsi-india.org
Cool Connections We Recommend:
- Axion, Inc. manufactures structural recycled plastic lumber which is a ecologically, economical and business commonsense substitute for wood. Builders, Industrialists, City Planners, Architects & citizens should contact www.axionintl.com
- Bluestockings Bookstore & Activist Resource Center (Lower East Side, NYC)- DFR Collective helped to ensure the strength of their Gay/Lesbian/Transgender section during the bookstore’s transition in 2003 from a Women’s Bookstore into a Bookstore/Activist Resource Center. www.bluestockings.com
- Branch Rings Jeweler, Ginalyn Dambra makes beautiful branch rings from environmentally friendly gold, silver, bronze. Choose a branch and she will make you 18k gold commitment & engagement rings. Call 914-388-0047
- Build It Green! NYC NYC's only nonprofit retail outlet for salvaged & surplus building materials. www.bignyc.org
- Callen Lorde Community Health Center New York City's only primary health care center dedicated to meeting the health needs of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities and people living with HIV/AIDS or anyone exposed to HIV. www.callen-lorde.org
- Can't afford em Buttons (Bronx) An income-sharing community (founded by one of our walkers, Angie Spitzer) that promotes peace & justice by making t-shirts, buttons, underwear, patches. (They silkscreened the DFR collective t-shirts you've seen our walkers wear.) They also publish & produce both written word & music. www.caebuttons.com
- Concious Consumer wise decisions are hard to make without the right information www.newdream.com
- E-Consultant free utilities & software ideas for your computer. Stop buying & start sharing. www.econsultant.com
- Forest Coffee order shade-grown & fairtrade at Rainforest Relief's Canopy Cafe
- GreenBiz.com is the lead online resource helping companies align environmental responsiblity with business success. www.GreenBiz.com
- GreenerPrinter referred by several of our clients this topnotch, high-quality/affordable printing company is devoted to environmentally friendly business practices. www.GreenerPrinter.com
- Greg Barber Company specialists in environmental paper & printing. They print our business cards. www.gregbarberco.com
- Habana Outpost (Brooklyn) awesome example of a hip cuban restaurant that promotes eco-education & sustainablity in its architecture & energy use. www.ecoeatery.com
- If Green (Portland) builds contemporary furniture & custom cabinetry from sustainable products www.Ifgreen.com
- New York City Animal Care & Control
A non-for-profit animal shelter system that rescues, cares for and finds homes for homeless and abandoned animals in all five boros. Unfortunately they euthanize pets when they can't find them homes which is why we ask you to please consider adopting from them. www.nycacc.org
- OrganicBouquet.com is your premier online source for socially and environmentally responsible gifts such as freshly picked organic flowers, organic fruits, gourmet organic gift baskets, and handcrafted vases from around the world.
- Reverand Billy & The Church of Stop Shopping a new but much needed kind of worship! www.revbilly.com
- Rock Dove Collective coordinates for the uninsured or minimally insured a network of health practitioners who provide physical, mental, sexual, emotional, social and spiritual care from a (radical/progressive) perspective on well-being.www.rockdovecollective.org
- Urban Organic a NYC home delivery service of Organic produce & groceries www.urbanorganic.com